CINCINNATI (WKRC) – Cincinnati’s city manager said Wednesday, March 29, that “significant and substantial progress” had been made in the investigation at the Cameo nightclub as 911 calls revealed the chaos at the scene.
Dispatcher: “What is the address of your emergency?
Caller: “We at Cameo Nightclub I’m getting in my car.”
Dispatcher: “You’re at Cameo Nightclub?
Caller: “Yeah my friend was shot, hurry up hurry up.”
Another woman was in the bathroom as shots were fired.
Caller: “I’m at this nightclub called Cameo.”
Caller: “I don’t know what’s going on.They’re like, shooting.”
Call takers at the Cincinnati Police Dept. had to call some of the callers back because their calls disconnected. Some of the friends of the victims called for help.
Dispatcher: “This is Cincinnati Police, we received a 911 call from your number. Is everything OK?”
Caller: “No, I have two friends shot. One has already got assistance and one needs help.”
Meanwhile, at Cincinnati city council Wednesday, council member Christopher Smitherman said he wasn’t impressed by club owner Jay Rodgers surrendering his liquor license.
“I don’t know if this is a maneuver by the owner or whether he’s sincerely turning in the license, I just represent the citizens of Cincinnati and I think they deserve a lot of clarity and answers about what happened,” Smitherman said.
Smitherman said he wants a full investigation about what was going on at Cameo. He said he would also like to know if there have been problems at OTR Live, another club owned by Rodgers. Council’s Law and Public Safety Committee will hold its annual liquor hearing on April 24.
Local 12 made attempts to reach Rodgers on Wednesday. He did not return phone calls.